By Judy Coldicott ADH RCHom
Not everyone is ecstatic as we head towards the beauty and vigor of the spring season. Along with the color, scents and pollens comes suffering for many. Allergic reactions can make life a trial and trying to get the symptoms under control is often close to a full-time job.
For decades, homeopaths have utilised a range of remedies that match allergy related symptoms or ‘pictures’ to the ‘picture’ of the patient. Giving the accurate homeopathic remedy can assist the body to overcome symptoms it may have been previously susceptible to. Qualified homeopaths love to work with patients well before the onset of spring, which is often when symptoms arise. In doing this they can address the idiosyncrasies of the patient including repeated patterns for recurrent symptoms and family tendencies to allergic response. Ongoing treatment for predisposition to many conditions can be very effective and allergy sufferers have much to gain by looking ahead before the onset of their symptoms and taking some preventative action.
If your symptoms do arrive in full force, there are many homeopathic remedies that health practitioners may select from a large range of homeopathic preparations. These remedies have a recorded traditional historical symptom profile or ‘remedy picture' outlined in published homeopathic texts and are used when present in the person currently suffering with similar symptoms. Some of the commonly assessed preparations and their symptom pictures as follows:
Often prescribed for a bee-sting, this does not have to have occurred for Apis to be appropriate but the symptoms will be similar.
- red hot swelling with water retention and puffiness
- itching of the swollen part, sometimes skin, often the eyes
- the skin may be tight and glossy looking
- eyes will be inflamed, conjunctiva red and bulging with a lot of itching
- the sufferer will often be restless with their allergy
- all symptoms feel better from cool applications
Made from the common stinging nettle, you can recognize when you need to use this remedy by observing the level of itching and skin irritation often seen after a brush with the weed.
- a common response when Urtica is needed are raised welts
- skin eruptions are red and elevated with a white edge to them
- itching tends to make the swelling worse, patient feels ‘crazy’ from the burning, itching
- welts can occur after eating a trigger food, shellfish is a common example, and often eruptions can form around the lips
- skin often reacts to extreme changes of temperature – eg a cold swim on a very hot day or a hot shower after a walk in cold temperatures.
Imagine yourself peeling a bag of red onions and you will understand the uses of this remedy!
- burning, weeping eyes with profuse tears and light sensitivity
- redness of the eyes during the weeping, as if from smoke
- nasal discharge which is biting, raw, profuse and worse indoors
- sneezing which improves or stops in the open air
- allergic symptoms may be caused by peaches – odor or contact with the skin can aggravate or they can feel worse after eating salads, particularly cucumbers
This remedy is made from a grass and, as we know, grasses are one of the many triggers for allergies and hay fever symptoms. The specific symptoms of Arundo are :
- prickling, itching, burning and redness of the eyes along with swelling of the conjunctiva.
- insides of the ear also burn and itch
- the roof of the mouth feels very itchy and the sufferer will often make a sound as they rub the tongue on the palate to itch it. Sometimes mouth ulcers will accompany the other symptoms
- the nostrils also itch along with the profuse discharge and there is a loss of smell during the hay fever
- there can also be a crawling, itching feeling on the skin accompanied by redness and eruptions
There are many other homeopathic remedies made from plants and grasses, each with their own unique pattern of symptoms. Matching this pattern to the individual is the success of the treatment.
Generally homeopathic remedies in 12c or 30c potency may be commonly advised as these potencies may be repeated as required.
Always stop if there is an improvement as you are aiming to encourage your body to find a balanced state of health after the prompt of the remedy. Do not continue with the remedy if you have no result as it indicates it is probably not the best one. Always seek professional advice for prolonged or unresolved symptoms.
It is always a good idea to support the body during the hay fever season, particularly if you know you are prone to developing symptoms.
- drink plenty of water
- cut out all processed foods, particularly wheat and dairy
- keep your immunity strong
- visiting a natural health practitioner well before the allergy season is a good idea
- avoid the triggers that you know about at the worst stage of the season
There are many other ‘allergic reactions’ that people encounter, many less acute than hay fever. Professional homeopathic treatment is an effective medium for dealing with these - they are usually chronic and therefore require a more complex approach than just prescribing the acute remedies described above. Don’t feel that a food or other ‘sensitivity’ or ‘allergy’ is a life sentence – explore your options, change your health and be free to enjoy your environment to the full.