Certificate of Complementary Medicine
The Certificate of Complementary Medicine (CertCompMed) course provides students with a broad perspective on the scope of CAM in the overall context of today’s healthcare environment, including public health, ethics, research, health promotion and health behaviour.
With exposure to a wide variety of natural medicine disciplines, students will be able to develop a sophisticated appreciation of their interrelationships and potential contribution in multidisciplinary and integrative health settings. A wide variety of topics allows students to build knowledge in a range of areas and may lead to interest in further study to become a practitioner.
Who should study this course?
Potential students for this course will come from a range of backgrounds and could include (but are not limited to):
- School leavers interested in CAM but not sure in which area to specialise
- People seeking a career change without a clear area of where they would like to specialise
- Staff currently working in allopathic (Western orthodox) medicine (medical staff and receptionists) looking for further education in CAM in order to appropriately refer patients to CAM practitioners or to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary clinic
- People interested in health management, policy, public or population health and looking for careers in these areas and/or to go on to degree-level study
- People interested in CAM for general knowledge and not looking for career outcomes, rather to broaden their knowledge of how to apply CAM in their lives
What are the opportunities for further study?
This course will prepare students for further study in a variety of fields including health science, public health, public administration, health administration and social work or specific CAM practitioner training.
Further study options for graduates of this certificate could include:
- Bachelor of Complementary Medicine (Endeavour, Australia)
- Graduate Diploma in Health Science (at AUT, MIT or WIT)
- Bachelor of Health Science (conventional at various polytechnics or CAM at smaller providers)
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Midwifery